Quantcast

Absolute text position inside a ColumnText (or something like)

Absolute text position inside a ColumnText (or something like)

Campa Campa
Hi all,
My problem is: i need to print a group of data lines, and i need to keep those groups togheter over pages.

I tried many ways to manage this problem, in the beginning i tried using PdfContentByte.MoveText, and it works fine.
But in this way i'm not able to manage group of data.
So i switched to ColumnText, but, it seems theres no way to do something like MoveText.
And i absolute need to print in absolute position @_@,

bye,
Campa.

Re: Absolute text position inside a ColumnText (or something like)

Paulo Soares-3
This is a trivial problem and there are many ways to do it. PdfContentByte.MoveText is one way and the grouping would be done by dividing the available height by the leading and see if all the lines fit. It's even easier with ColumnText where you can simulate the writing to know if the text fits and so on, it's rather high level. ColumnText is very well explained in the book and there's also documentation and examples online. See http://itextdocs.lowagie.com/tutorial/objects/columns/index.php and http://1t3xt.info/examples/browse/index.php.

Paulo

Aviso Legal:
Esta mensagem é destinada exclusivamente ao destinatário. Pode conter informação confidencial ou legalmente protegida. A incorrecta transmissão desta mensagem não significa a perca de confidencialidade. Se esta mensagem for recebida por engano, por favor envie-a de volta para o remetente e apague-a do seu sistema de imediato. É proibido a qualquer pessoa que não o destinatário de usar, revelar ou distribuir qualquer parte desta mensagem.

Disclaimer:
This message is destined exclusively to the intended receiver. It may contain confidential or legally protected information. The incorrect transmission of this message does not mean the loss of its confidentiality. If this message is received by mistake, please send it back to the sender and delete it from your system immediately. It is forbidden to any person who is not the intended receiver to use, distribute or copy any part of this message.

Re: Absolute text position inside a ColumnText (or something like)

Campa Campa
Thank you Paulo, i missed to say an important thing in my previous mail, the columnText can solve the problem of pagination but it never solve the problem of horizontal absolute position.
I need to put text in a specific X position, i'm able to do that with pdfcontentbyte.movetext, but with columnText i can only set a columnText.Add(phrase or something).
Maybe i miss something, but i can't find the way out.
Maybe i can use a pdfpTable but setting at run time the size and the number of pdfpcell can be a nightmare, i think the best thing i can do is working a little more on the pdfcontentbyte...
Thanks for your answer.

Campa.

2008/9/5 Paulo Soares <[hidden email]>
This is a trivial problem and there are many ways to do it. PdfContentByte.MoveText is one way and the grouping would be done by dividing the available height by the leading and see if all the lines fit. It's even easier with ColumnText where you can simulate the writing to know if the text fits and so on, it's rather high level. ColumnText is very well explained in the book and there's also documentation and examples online. See http://itextdocs.lowagie.com/tutorial/objects/columns/index.php and http://1t3xt.info/examples/browse/index.php.

Paulo

ColumnText can place text at x,y position. Buy the book, it's all explained
there (and online too).

Paulo

2008/9/5 Paulo Soares <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
This is a trivial problem and there are many ways to do it.
PdfContentByte.MoveText is one way and the grouping would be done by
dividing the available height by the leading and see if all the lines fit.
It's even easier with ColumnText where you can simulate the writing to know
if the text fits and so on, it's rather high level. ColumnText is very well
explained in the book and there's also documentation and examples online.
See http://itextdocs.lowagie.com/tutorial/objects/columns/index.php and
http://1t3xt.info/examples/browse/index.php.

Paulo

wgself
I am having a similar problem. Using columntext I can print at an
absolute position but I need to print at a relative position.
Ie. Prompt: Data or line or both
I can find no way to know where the prompt ends so that I can start the
line or data.
I have the book and numerous online links but haven't found a solution
yet. I'm using C# and version 4.1.2.0 of iTextSharp

Glen

Thank you Paulo, i missed to say an important thing in my previous mail,
the
columnText can solve the problem of pagination but it never solve the
problem of horizontal absolute position.
I need to put text in a specific X position, i'm able to do that with
pdfcontentbyte.movetext, but with columnText i can only set a
columnText.Add(phrase or something).
Maybe i miss something, but i can't find the way out.
Maybe i can use a pdfpTable but setting at run time the size and the
number
of pdfpcell can be a nightmare, i think the best thing i can do is
working a
little more on the pdfcontentbyte...
Thanks for your answer.

Campa.

2008/9/5 Paulo Soares <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
This is a trivial problem and there are many ways to do it.
PdfContentByte.MoveText is one way and the grouping would be done by
dividing the available height by the leading and see if all the lines
fit.
It's even easier with ColumnText where you can simulate the writing to
know
if the text fits and so on, it's rather high level. ColumnText is very
well
explained in the book and there's also documentation and examples
online.
See http://itextdocs.lowagie.com/tutorial/objects/columns/index.php and
http://1t3xt.info/examples/browse/index.php.

Paulo

[hidden email]<mailto:itext-questions-bou
[hidden email]>

[mailto:[hidden email]<mailto:itext-quest
[hidden email]>]
> On
> Behalf Of Campa
> Sent: Friday, September 05, 2008 3:50 PM

[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]
eforge.net>

> Subject: [iText-questions] Absolute text position inside a
> ColumnText (or something like)
>
> Hi all,
> My problem is: i need to print a group of data lines, and i
> need to keep those groups togheter over pages.
>
> I tried many ways to manage this problem, in the beginning i
> tried using PdfContentByte.MoveText, and it works fine.
> But in this way i'm not able to manage group of data.
> So i switched to ColumnText, but, it seems theres no way to
> do something like MoveText.
> And i absolute need to print in absolute position @_@,
>
> bye,
> Campa.

challenge
prizes
Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the
world

The information contained in this message is intended only for the recipient, and may be a confidential attorney-client communication or may otherwise be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, please be aware that any dissemination or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify us by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. reserves the right, subject to applicable local law, to monitor and review the content of any electronic message or information sent to or from McGraw-Hill employee e-mail addresses without informing the sender or recipient of the message.

Re: Absolute text position inside a ColumnText(orsomething like)

Paulo Soares-3
What exactly do you need?

Paulo

When I:
Ct.AddElement(PromptPhrase) I need to know where the phrase ends in the
X dimension so that I can draw a line or add data relative to where PromptPhrase ends.

Glen

> I am having a similar problem. Using columntext I can print at an
> absolute position but I need to print at a relative position.
> Ie. Prompt: Data or line or both
> I can find no way to know where the prompt ends so that I can
> start the
> line or data.
> I have the book and numerous online links but haven't found a solution
> yet. I'm using C# and version 4.1.2.0 of iTextSharp
>
> Glen

The easiest way is to have a tag on the text and catch it with an onGenericTag() event, this will give you the position of the placed text. You may also place the text for that particular line, if it's a single line, with other method and measure the line width. There are many other possibilities.

Paulo

If i understand your question is exactly my problem.
With columnText you are able to print a text in a absolute position, but what if i need to print a group of data?

theres no a moveText like for contentByte.

If i print a columnText of 400x300 and i need to write data inside it like:
data1 x=10 y=10
data2 x=200 y=10
data3 x=380 y=10

how can i do that?
I tried even with multicolumnText but theres no way to manage this solution.
I'm using contentByte MoveText and i'm trying to do my pagebreak.

2008/9/10 Self, Glen <[hidden email]>
When I:
Ct.AddElement(PromptPhrase) I need to know where the phrase ends in the
X dimension so that I can draw a line or add data relative to where PromptPhrase ends.

Glen

> I am having a similar problem. Using columntext I can print at an
> absolute position but I need to print at a relative position.
> Ie. Prompt: Data or line or both
> I can find no way to know where the prompt ends so that I can
> start the
> line or data.
> I have the book and numerous online links but haven't found a solution
> yet. I'm using C# and version 4.1.2.0 of iTextSharp
>
> Glen

You may use a table or tabs as explained in http://1t3xt.info/examples/browse/?page=toc&id=367. You may also use ColumnText.showTextAligned() to place data at arbitrary positions. There's plenty of options.

Paulo

Take a look at PdfPTable.

I use dozens of them throughout my documents for just that problem. Many of them only one line high.

It works fine to place the start of text. My problem is trying to figure out where the text ends.

Glen

> I am having a similar problem. Using columntext I can print at an
> absolute position but I need to print at a relative position.
> Ie. Prompt: Data or line or both
> I can find no way to know where the prompt ends so that I can
> start the
> line or data.
> I have the book and numerous online links but haven't found a solution
> yet. I'm using C# and version 4.1.2.0 of iTextSharp
>
> Glen

There are methods to measure the text width, see ColumnText.getWidth(Phrase).

Paulo

That sounds like exactly what I need.
Unfortunately it does not show up as a function in ColumnText.
Is it in the Java version but not in iTextSharp?

There are methods to measure the text width, see ColumnText.getWidth(Phrase).

Paulo

ColumnText.GetWidth(Phrase) in C#.

Paulo

AhHaa
Excellent!
That is exactly what I need. I've been looking for a method off of the variable instead of the base class.
Thank you very much for the pointer.
Glen

> Unfortunately it does not show up as a function in ColumnText.
> Is it in the Java version but not in iTextSharp?

I tried to use PdfPTable and i organize my output in a good way.
Thank you for the idea Glen, i used a tree level pdptable in a column text, it works well. :D