Quantcast

Add Signature to mark other fields as read only

Add Signature to mark other fields as read only

mingxun
Using Adobe Professional to add a signature, there is an option to mark other fields in the form as read only after signed. Is there a way to do this using iText? Also I saw that there is a function PdfSignatureAppearance.setVisibleSignature(String fieldName) which will make a signature visible. Is there a function to hide a signature?

Thanks
Ming

Re: Add Signature to mark other fields as read only

Andreas Kuehne-2

Hi Ming,

just set the signature appearance like this

sap.setCertificationLevel(PdfSignatureAppearance.CERTIFIED_NO_CHANGES_ALLOWED);

This disallows all changes.

Visibility of a signature is done by adding visual elements. If you don't any visual element, the signature will be inivisible.

Greetings

Andreas

Re: Add Signature to mark other fields as read only

Diana Almeida-3
mingxun escreveu:
> Using Adobe Professional to add a signature, there is an option to mark other
> fields in the form as read only after signed. Is there a way to do this
> using iText?
Believe so but can't really help here...

> Also I saw that there is a function
> PdfSignatureAppearance.setVisibleSignature(String fieldName) which will make
> a signature visible. Is there a function to hide a signature?

Not a function.  Just don't use setVisibleSignature :) Everything else
is the same. Use setVisibleSignature only if you want a visible signature.
> Thanks
> Ming

;)

Re: Add Signature to mark other fields as read only

info-2
mingxun wrote:
> Using Adobe Professional to add a signature, there is an option to mark other
> fields in the form as read only after signed. Is there a way to do this
> using iText? Also I saw that there is a function
> PdfSignatureAppearance.setVisibleSignature(String fieldName) which will make
> a signature visible. Is there a function to hide a signature?

You are mixing different things making it very hard to answer your question.

Adding the signature as a visible field or not, is one thing.
Making fields in a form read only is another thing.

Also, are you talking about author or recipient signatures?

If you're talking about author signatures, the PDF reference
let's you choose between the following options:
1 No changes to the document are permitted; any change to the document
invalidates the signature.
2 Permitted changes are filling in forms, instantiating page templates,
and signing; other changes invalidate the signature.
3 Permitted changes are the same as for 2, as well as annotation
creation, deletion, and modification; other changes invalidate the
signature.

That's different from making fields read only (which is also possible
with iText).

In other words: your question sounds like "how many days?"
We can only answer with a counter question: "do you mean how many days
are there in a month? in a week? in a year?"
--
This answer is provided by 1T3XT BVBA
http://www.1t3xt.com/ - http://www.1t3xt.info

Re: Add Signature to mark other fields as read only

Mike Marchywka-2

> Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 07:45:56 -0700
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [iText-questions] Add Signature to mark other fields as read only
>

> Using Adobe Professional to add a signature, there is an option to mark other
> fields in the form as read only after signed. Is there a way to do this
> using iText? Also I saw that there is a function

LOL- I found out that "doing nothing explicit" achieves
this result trying to copy the US IRS 1040 "form"
as the output removes the options to fill in fields
and the Reader mentions this when you try to display
the "copy".

> PdfSignatureAppearance.setVisibleSignature(String fieldName) which will make
> a signature visible. Is there a function to hide a signature?
>
> Thanks
> Ming

> Buy the iText book: http://www.1t3xt.com/docs/book.php

Windows Liveā„¢ Contacts: Organize your contact list.

[hidden email] wrote:
> Thanks for answering my question.

DO NOT REPLY TO PERSONAL E-MAIL ADDRESSES.
REPLY TO THE LIST!

> One problem I am trying to solve is as follows.
> I need to present a PDF document to 2 users to sign.

Recipient signatures. Not author signatures. OK?
(Please use the correct terminology; otherwise you
sound as if you have no clue about what you are doing;
which isn't very professional for an employee of EDS.)

> When I present the document to the first user, the document
> should not have the second signature or hide the second signature.

Should not have!
Signing creates revisions.
Revision 1 of 2 of the document will have signature 1.
Revision 2 of 2 of the document will have signature 1 and 2.

> After the first user signs the first signature, I will add the
> second signature or make the second signature visible and present
> the document to the second user.

OK.

> I want to see when I do that is there a way not to invalidate the
> first signature.

Please read the documentation!!!
As explained in chapter 16 of "iText in Action"; you MAY NOT
CHANGE the existing PDF file, but you need to use APPEND MODE.
See for instance: http://1t3xt.be/?X000014
There's an example that has two signatures.
This is the key line:
PdfStamper stamper =
  PdfStamper.createSignature(reader, os, '\0', null, true);