Quantcast

Change margins for existing PDF document

Change margins for existing PDF document

Rajs

Hi Friends,

     I am new to iTEXT.
     In my application, the requirement is: I need to take an existing document, add some more content and change the margins, if necessary.
(This is becoz, the PDF should be printed on a page. And, if the document is not printed correctly, the user will be given a facility to change the margins a bit, so that it can be printed correctly)

      There is facilty in iTEXT to set the margins using document.setMargins() method.
     But, how can we change the margins for an existing PDF document? Or is there a way to create a new document, set margins for it and add the content from existing document?
      Please help me with some idea or code.

Thanks for any response.

Raj.

Re: Change margins for existing PDF document

Leonard Rosenthol
TWo things.

1) There is no such thing as a margin in a PDF - it's just white space where nothing is drawn.
2) Even if you could change the margins, PDF doesn't reflow - so I am not sure how it would help you.

Perhaps if you explained your situation more...

Leonard

On Mar 3, 2008, at 7:14 AM, Raj S wrote:

Hi Friends,

     I am new to iTEXT.
     In my application, the requirement is: I need to take an existing document, add some more content and change the margins, if necessary.
(This is becoz, the PDF should be printed on a page. And, if the document is not printed correctly, the user will be given a facility to change the margins a bit, so that it can be printed correctly)

      There is facilty in iTEXT to set the margins using document.setMargins() method.
     But, how can we change the margins for an existing PDF document? Or is there a way to create a new document, set margins for it and add the content from existing document?
      Please help me with some idea or code.

Thanks for any response.

Raj.

Re: Change margins for existing PDF document

Rajs

   Thanks for your response, Leonard
   I will explain the situation more clearly.
   I have a PDF document, in which there are form fields like text box,...
   What I need to do is put some data in the fields using iTEXT and save it for printing.

   I need to print on a paper which already contains the template, i mean like this
Name:
City:
State:

etc,
      So, the problem is i need to adjust the form fields, such that data into the form fields (for ex: Leonard comes next 'Name:' and Texas comes next to 'City:' , etc) comes correctly on the printed paper.
Hope u understand the problem.

Thanks for any response,
Raj

[...]

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Re: Change margins for existing PDF document

iText Info
Raj S wrote:
>       So, the problem is i need to adjust the form fields,  such that
> data into the form fields (for ex: Leonard comes next 'Name:' and Texas
> comes next to 'City:' , etc) comes correctly on the printed paper.
> Hope u understand the problem.

I understand the question, but you didn't understand the answer:

> 2) Even if you could change the margins, PDF doesn't reflow

Do you know what is meant by 'reflow'?
 From your 'clarification' I'm almost sure you don't.
In case you wonder why I'm not giving 'the' answer,
that's because there is no answer (except for: switch
to Adobe LiveCycle and dynamic XFA fonts).
--
This answer is provided by 1T3XT BVBA