Quantcast

Nullpointer in setListOption()

VanderMolen, David
Nullpointer in setListOption()

I am using a pdf created with Adobe Designer 7.0…

When calling setListOption with a shortened (non-key) field name, the method fails with a nullpointer exception on the Item.  Is there a reason that the fieldName parameter that works for setField doesn't work here?

public boolean setListOption(String fieldName, String[] exportValues, String[] displayValues) {
        if (exportValues == null && displayValues == null)
            return false;
        if (exportValues != null && displayValues != null && exportValues.length != displayValues.length)
            throw new IllegalArgumentException("The export and the display array must have the same size.");
        int ftype = getFieldType(fieldName);
        if (ftype != FIELD_TYPE_COMBO && ftype != FIELD_TYPE_LIST)
            return false;
        Item fd = (Item)fields.get(fieldName); //--nullpointer here for valid field name, expects the .whatever[0]. pathing

public boolean setListOption(String fieldName, String[] exportValues, String[] displayValues) {
        if (exportValues == null && displayValues == null)
            return false;
        if (exportValues != null && displayValues != null && exportValues.length != displayValues.length)
            throw new IllegalArgumentException("The export and the display array must have the same size.");
        int ftype = getFieldType(fieldName);
        if (ftype != FIELD_TYPE_COMBO && ftype != FIELD_TYPE_LIST)
            return false;

//(stole this code from setField method, which works)
        if (xfa.isXfaPresent()) {
            fieldName = xfa.findFieldName(fieldName, this);
            if (fieldName == null)
                return false;
            String shortName = XfaForm.Xml2Som.getShortName(fieldName);
        }
        Item fd = (Item)fields.get(fieldName); //--sets values correctly

Re: Nullpointer in setListOption()

Paulo Soares
iText only supports setField() with PDFs created with Designer.

Paulo

Aviso Legal:
Esta mensagem é destinada exclusivamente ao destinatário. Pode conter informação confidencial ou legalmente protegida. A incorrecta transmissão desta mensagem não significa a perca de confidencialidade. Se esta mensagem for recebida por engano, por favor envie-a de volta para o remetente e apague-a do seu sistema de imediato. É proibido a qualquer pessoa que não o destinatário de usar, revelar ou distribuir qualquer parte desta mensagem.

Disclaimer:
This message is destined exclusively to the intended receiver. It may contain confidential or legally protected information. The incorrect transmission of this message does not mean the loss of its confidentiality. If this message is received by mistake, please send it back to the sender and delete it from your system immediately. It is forbidden to any person who is not the intended receiver to use, distribute or copy any part of this message.

Re: Nullpointer in setListOption()

VanderMolen, David
I used Designer, and the setListOption works if passed the Field key, but not the field name.  Methods like setField use the xfa.findFieldName and so work with the name, not just the key.

iText only supports setField() with PDFs created with Designer.

Paulo

It looks like it works but it doesn't. It changes the acroform but not
the xfa and if you return to Designer the changes will be gone.

Paulo

That is true, but if generated pdf is an end product, that may be adequate.  The point I am trying to make is that if the pdf was created with Designer, setListOption causes a nullpointer if you use the field name instead of the field key, which is somewhat confusing if you are also using setField.  For posterity:

AcroFields fields=stamper.getAcroFields();

boolean bSuccess=fields.setField("state", "MI");  //Works for Designer-generated PDF's only

bSuccess=fields.setListOption("state", new String[]{"IN","MI","OH"},new String[]{"Indiana","Ohio","Michigan"}); //Causes error for Designer-produced PDF's, just fails for others (becuase state is not the Item key)

bSuccess=fields.setListOption("app[0].page1Form[0].state[0]", new String[]{"IN","MI","OH"},new String[]{"Indiana","Michigan","Ohio"}); //works for all, values will show in Reader but not Designer

Thank you,
Dave

It looks like it works but it doesn't. It changes the acroform but not
the xfa and if you return to Designer the changes will be gone.

Paulo

arathi-3
I got the Spanish character printing in pdf from a xml file using itext. I had to change the encoding in the XML tag from UTF-8 to windows-1252.

Thanks,
Arathi

Paulo Soares <[hidden email]> wrote:
iText only supports setField() with PDFs created with Designer.

Paulo

Leonard Rosenthol
You can NOT mix Designer-based forms with the AcroFields() methods -
since Designer forms MAY NOT have any fields...

Leonard