Quantcast

PDF Splitting Increases Size.

Hitesh Barhate

Hi,

    I have one particular PDF file with 100 pages and 10 MB size (PDF contains only images). When I split that PDF file using iText then the splitted files combined size becomes 1000 MB. Each splitted file becomes 10 MB.
    But this is not the case with all the PDFs. It happens only with some particular PDFs.

    Can you please help me with this issue ?

   Thanks in advance.

-
Hitesh Barhate.

hitesh_barhate.vcf (141 bytes) Download Attachment
mkl

Re: PDF Splitting Increases Size.

mkl
Hitesh Barhate,
Hitesh Barhate wrote
I have one particular PDF file with 100 pages and 10 MB size (PDF contains only images). When I split that PDF file using iText then the splitted files combined size becomes 1000 MB. Each splitted file becomes 10 MB.

But this is not the case with all the PDFs. It happens only with some particular PDFs.

Can you please help me with this issue ?
As you offer neither an example file nor code, we have to guess. One possibility:

If the images in your document are used again and again on many pages, they need to be in the source document only once while after splitting they need to be in each of the result documents containing a page on which the image is used. In the extreme case of all images being re-used on every page, that will result in a situation like yours.

Regards,   Michael

Re: PDF Splitting Increases Size.

Hitesh Barhate
On 10/24/2011 2:53 PM, mkl wrote:
Hitesh Barhate,

Hitesh Barhate wrote:
I have one particular PDF file with 100 pages and 10 MB size (PDF contains
only images). When I split that PDF file using iText then the splitted
files combined size becomes 1000 MB. Each splitted file becomes 10 MB.

But this is not the case with all the PDFs. It happens only with some
particular PDFs.

Can you please help me with this issue ?
As you offer neither an example file nor code, we have to guess. One
possibility:

If the images in your document are used again and again on many pages, they
need to be in the source document only once while after splitting they need
to be in each of the result documents containing a page on which the image
is used. In the extreme case of all images being re-used on every page, that
will result in a situation like yours.

Regards,   Michael

    Thank you for reply.

    In that particular PDF there are 100 image objects. These images are stored under resources obj in PDF. These resources are getting copied in all the splitted PDFs.

    Is there a way to remove the unused resources from PDFs.

Hitesh Barhate.

hitesh_barhate.vcf (141 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: PDF Splitting Increases Size.

iText Info
On 24/10/2011 13:04, Hitesh Barhate wrote:
Hi,
    Thank you for reply.

    In that particular PDF there are 100 image objects. These images are stored under resources obj in PDF. These resources are getting copied in all the splitted PDFs.

Normally the /Resources in a /Page dictionary only contain resources that are needed in that page. If the /Resources of page 1 contain a reference to an image that only appears on page 2, your PDF isn't well formed. It really interests us to see that PDF.
If the PDF is well-formed, and you "burst" the PDF correctly, then you shouldn't have that problem (how do you extract the single pages?).

    Is there a way to remove the unused resources from PDFs.

Yes, there is.
But let's see the PDF first.