Quantcast

Phrase leading property

Brian Akehurst

Hi,

Can anyone point me to an email or piece of documentation or to tell me the precise use of the Leading value in the Phrase?  I would like to understand how and when it is used in the rendering of a paragraph and how it interacts with other Font and or Paragraph properties.

Thanks

Brian

Buy the iText book: http://www.itextpdf.com/book/
Check the site with examples before you ask questions: http://www.1t3xt.info/examples/

Re: Phrase leading property

iText Info
On 24/08/2010 17:08, Brian Akehurst wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone point me to an email or piece of documentation or to tell me
> the precise use of the Leading value in the Phrase? I would like to
> understand how and when it is used in the rendering of a paragraph and
> how it interacts with other Font and or Paragraph properties.

I saw the earlier question involving RTF files.
I didn't understand the question.
As a matter of fact, I still don't understand the question.

As this old example demonstrates, the leading of a line is the
leading of the Phrase with the highest leading in that line:
http://1t3xt.info/examples/browse/?page=example&id=397
http://1t3xt.info/examples/results/questions/objects/different_leadings.pdf
--
This answer is provided by 1T3XT BVBA
http://www.1t3xt.com/ - http://www.1t3xt.info

Buy the iText book: http://www.itextpdf.com/book/
Check the site with examples before you ask questions: http://www.1t3xt.info/examples/

Re: Phrase leading property

Brian Akehurst
I construct a paragraph with a number of phrases each one of which has a
Leading property passed in its constructor.  As I understand it the Leading
is the spacing between the lines.  The Paragraph also has a Leading property
and a Multiplied leading property, the later changing line spacing based on
the largest size of the Font in any line and the former being an absolute
value; the Total Leading being the addition of the two.  I do not
understanding how these values of leading are working together with that of
the Phases and therefore how I should set them correctly.  In particular how
does setting the Phrase leading have an effect on the way the paragraph is
finally rendered in the PDF?

Brian

On 24/08/2010 17:43, Brian Akehurst wrote:

> I construct a paragraph with a number of phrases each one of which has a
> Leading property passed in its constructor.  As I understand it the Leading
> is the spacing between the lines.  The Paragraph also has a Leading property
> and a Multiplied leading property, the later changing line spacing based on
> the largest size of the Font in any line and the former being an absolute
> value; the Total Leading being the addition of the two.  I do not
> understanding how these values of leading are working together with that of
> the Phases and therefore how I should set them correctly.  In particular how
> does setting the Phrase leading have an effect on the way the paragraph is
> finally rendered in the PDF?

OK, let me rephrase why I don't understand the fact that you repeat the
question: what is not clear in the example DifferentLeadings?
http://1t3xt.info/examples/browse/?page=example&id=397
--
This answer is provided by 1T3XT BVBA
http://www.1t3xt.com/ - http://www.1t3xt.info

Buy the iText book: http://www.itextpdf.com/book/
Check the site with examples before you ask questions: http://www.1t3xt.info/examples/

Re: Phrase leading property

Brian Akehurst

Well here are the Phrase constructors from the example:-

Phrase phrase1 = new Phrase(text, new Font(Font.HELVETICA, 12));

Phrase phrase2 = new Phrase(new Chunk(text, new Font(Font.TIMES_ROMAN, 24)));

Phrase phrase3 = new Phrase(text, new Font(Font.COURIER, 8));

Phrase phrase4 = new Phrase(text, new Font(Font.HELVETICA, 4));

It does not show this possible one in iTextSharp: -

public Phrase(float leading, Chunk chunk);

or just for completeness these two either:-

public Phrase(float leading, string str);

public Phrase(float leading, string str, Font font);

My question is how does this phrase leading play with the other values in the final rendering of the paragraph?  When I construct phrases using this first constructor then add them to a paragraph I do not see any effect on the paragraph line spacing whatever values I use the paragraph renders using its values set or defaults.  In fact whatever I do to the phrase leading seems not to change anything in the final result.  So what wrong here I guess is another way of asking my question.  I would like to have fine control over the phrase leading which is suggested by it having this property and these constructors.  Is this in fact possible and if so how?

Brian

http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-atom-d2d